LA/MS-2010-33, JULY 14, 2010
NEW ORLEANS –– Internal Revenue Service Taxpayer Assistance Centers in several Louisiana cities will be open this Saturday July 17 to provide help to taxpayers impacted by the BP oil spill.
The following locations will be open from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Central time:
- 2600 Citiplace Centre, Baton Rouge, La.
- 423 Lafayette St., Houma, La.
- 1555 Poydras Street, New Orleans, La.
Individuals who have questions about the tax treatment of BP payments or who are experiencing filing or payment hardships because of the oil spill will be able to work directly with IRS personnel at any of these locations on Saturday.
Last week, the IRS announced the opening of a dedicated phone line for victims of the Gulf oil spill –– 866-562-5227. This special toll-free line will also be open to callers on July 17 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Central Time.
In certain cases, IRS staff can assist oil spill victims by suspending collection and examination actions. Taxpayers who need this assistance must request it. Others may decide to continue making payments because interest will continue to accrue on outstanding balances, even if some penalties are abated.
For further information, including the tax treatment of BP compensation payments, see Questions & Answers about the Gulf oil spill on the IRS website, IRS.gov. Taxpayers are also encouraged to visit DisasterAssistance.gov, which has information on assistance for Gulf oil spill victims.
The following partners will be offering assistance at the locations indicated:
- Money Market International (formerly Consumer Credit Counseling) – All locations
- Southeast Legal Services and Law Clinic – New Orleans only
- Language Assistance:
- New Orleans only – V.I.E.T. and Hispanic Apostolate
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (Tax return prep):
- Houma only – River/Bayou Parish Asset Building Coalition